Wednesday, February 21, 2007

The Knife That Cut Me Free

I have once again imperiled my good health by grabbing questionable snacks at SuperAmerica. I was going for the nachos - a bit of cheese, some jalapenos to kill the bacteria, when a couple of ladies advised me to go for the hot dogs. Easily persuaded I went to the roller rack and selected the two least dangerous looking hot dogs, which were still wildly different in color, one being a sort of orange pink and the other being a turd brown. Did the taco roll teach me nothing? Or is this some kind of death wish?

SuperAmerica. Back in Chicago they're called Speedways (when you're on the go when you're on your way). I'll be back in Chicago soon, licking my wounds, healing up. I am right now way past the red line in terms of stamina. Mentally and physically I'm beaten and bruised. My speech processing center is shot - I can hear words but I can't decipher them without difficulty. It's what my step-sister called the kaleidoscope - words come in and go through a kaleidoscope and I hear what I don't want to hear.

And so, Ham and I are parting ways. I don't think either of us could survive any other way, or more importantly grow. I'll have more time for, well, sleep, but also experiments and research, and being a more well rounded person. That old quality of life thing. Hopefully I can find a way to temper my ambition with rest.

3 comments:

mrmonkey23 said...

Sorry to hear you're skipping town! The Cartoonist Conspiracy has cells in Chicago

http://www.cartoonistconspiracy.com/board/viewforum.php?f=40

and a new one in Springfield

http://www.cartoonistconspiracy.com/board/viewforum.php?f=42

if you're looking for a jam. Good luck with your move and your new endeavors!

Steve

Donn Ha said...

Yikes! I didn't know anyone was reading this. I'm skipping town for Chicago for a bit. Then I'm back for a bit and planning my travels. I'll try to be at the next Conspiracy WITH PENS this time.

I've been to the Chicago cell - it's actually not much like the minneapolis one. They're doing the abel tutorials and exquisite corpses. I might stop in while I'm in town but I've gotta rest up, I'm near dead.

Donn Ha said...

Y'know, thinking about it there's no reason for me to rush back just to draw cartoons and grab mail. I guess I'll be missing another Minneapolis C.C.!