Monday, April 09, 2007

Blue Monday

This flu is still beating the crap out of me. I thought I'd gotten past the worst of it but now I'm producing an unending stream of green snot. I always enjoy having the flu - it's such a totally altered state it's like a reset on life. Still, while I appreciate the discontinuity I'd like to be getting better soon.

I've been using the term "Fonzie Flat" with Gene in terms of finding a house with a, well, a Fonzie Flat. While not commonly in use in America it seems to be in use in Australia. Go American cultural hegemony, eh? I started using the term because we had a discussion with our step brother John about Happy Days, and how we thought Fonzie was super cool when we were young and how silly that seems now. Here's a high school dropout who would hang out with high school kids, lived above one of their parents' garage, and called the bathroom of the local diner his "office". Hitting a jukebox to get free songs seemed cool then too. Now, not so much.

In any case, I was thinking it would be nice to have a place to crash in Chicago so that I could be more rootless - moving about with no commitments but with a home base to store my stuff and have mail delivered to. Saturday morning the whole Ha clan of Chicago went to look at a place in Berwyn that was terrible but two houses down there was a house for sale and my mom made us all go look. Wonderful place, with fine turn of the last century woodwork. Anyways, back to play. There's experiments to run.

No comments: