Friday, April 20, 2007

SF: Day Three, Via Vehicle

The city by car is a lot different than the city by foot. By car, I was able to focus out the areas that were unappealing as though they were just channels I was skipping over and only experience the areas I was interested in. Not surprisingly I got lost on my way to Muir Woods, somewhere halfway up the mountain, and ended up near the tippy top. Being lost, however, holds little consequence as I have nowhere I really need to be any time in particular.

And then once again I got lost, this time on the way back. I assumed that there MUST be a shorter way than back down the same way I came that might end me up in Mill Valley, and weighed that against the idea that there's no urgency and wherever I ended up I'd eventually find my way back.

Having run out of beverage I stopped at a small wayside for a snack and a drink and was informed that, continuing the way I was going, I would get where I wanted to be. It would be a long drive but I'd get there.

Back in San Francisco I stopped at Isotope, which was the most unusual comic book shop I've been to in a long time. A few things were striking about the place. First, it was clean and looked fairly upscale inside. Second, there were no action figures, resin busts, board games, collectible card games, t-shirts, none of that. Third, and most oddly, within a minute of me entering the owner said "Oh we've got a lot of events - etc. is coming, Gene Ha, etc. will be here in May..." I went over as though I knew nothing and said, "Gene Ha? What's he up to? He's coming here? Geeze, he's the greatest comic book artist in the world, perhaps the multiverse." It was during this conversation that I finally decided to drop my Paulie from Rocky III references. Nobody ever picks up on those.

No comments: