Thursday, May 24, 2007

Donn the Road

So I took a drive yesterday to try out my road kit, get some cheap wisconsin cigarettes and gas, and take some photos. Some notes:

Clearance Tripod: Obviously on clearance for a reason. One of the clips broke on the extendo legs so I had to use my foot to keep it from sliding down. This'll need replacing. Also, using it as a monopod didn't work (I seem to sway from side to side). Additionally, it may be time to get a better camera.

Power Inverter: Super.

Archos 404: Also super, but the playlist needs to be pared down. Coupled with the power inverter I can survive those long stretches where there's no country music stations. Has a nasty habit of going into unresponsive mode. BUT there's enough room to use it as a supplemental hard drive, meaning one less other item to bring.

Drink Powder Packets: Super savings in both cost and weight over buying soda. Just fill a bottle with water at a rest area, drop in a packet of powder, and drink deliciousness. Wyler's and Crystal Light make my brain hurt, but the Propel packets are good as are the Hawaiian Punch packets.

Cup Shaped Ash Tray: Flicking your cigarette out the window while going 65 mph is really difficult. This little fellow means fewer burn holes in my shirt.

MacBook: Well, it sure did look cute. But you can't really work on it without an external monitor.

I think the key is going to be taking less on the road which will be easier as it gets warmer. Still need to get my fake beard and a nice beat up hat for buskering.

No comments: